Functions of Nigerian Local Government as Stipulated by Constitution
The functions of Local Governments in the Nigeria are listed below as stated by Nigerian Constitution:
- Economic recommendations to the State government.
- Collection of taxes, levies and fees.
- Licensing of bicycles, canoes, vehicles and wheel barrows.
- Founding, repair and regulation of markets, motor parks and public conveniences.
- Construction and repair of streets, roads, highways, drainages, parks, and open spaces.
- Births, deaths and marriages registrations.
- Provision and management of public transportation.
- Naming of roads and streets, numbering of houses and other town planning functions.
- Creation and preservation of cemeteries for the dead and homes for the destitute.
- Control and regulation of out-door publicity.
- Refuse and waste management.
- Evaluation of private buildings for the purpose of levying.
- Control movement of pets and animals.
For easy administration, each local government areas is divided into wards.